Advent is the beginning of the Church Year. It begins on the fourth Sunday before Christmas Day, which is the Sunday nearest November 30, and ends on Christmas Eve (Dec 24). The word Advent means "coming" or "arrival". The focus of the entire season is the celebration of the birth of Jesus.
As we prepare to celebrate the birth of our savour Jesus Christ, we need to take time from our busy lives and reflect. The commercialization of Christmas from a religous event to a holiday of purchasing the best product at the best sale price tends to put a lot of stress on families as they try to keep up with the "Jones's". The "Keep Christ in Christmas" campaign is a reminder to people that Christmas is above all a holy day celebrating the birth of Christ. Keeping Christ in Christmas is keeping the very heart and meaning of the Christmas celebration alive, to celebrate the birth of the Son of God.
Merry Christmas and God Bless you and your family,
Grand Knight, Council 8008
We need your help!
I am intrigued by a recruitment campaign from Supreme: 24 HOURS CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE (and others!). Here is an illustration of just how much can be done as a Knight in 24 hours - 1 day!. And since this is what can be done in just one day, imagine what you could do with us in a week!
- 8 HOURS a year working on council charitable project for your Church or community.
- 4 HOURS a year enjoying a council social function (dinner, dance, picnic, etc.) with your entire family.
- 4 HOURS a year attending council meetings to help plan future activities.
- 6 HOURS a year (half an hour a month) reading the Knights’ magazine Columbia and visiting the Knights’ website www.kofc.org.
- 1 HOUR a year meeting with your Knights of Columbus insurance agent for a free analysis of your family’s insurance needs and to learn about our exclusive, top-rated programs available only to members and their families.*
- 1 HOUR attending Mass together with your council.
I would like to invite you to become more involved this year. As provided by Supreme, they have identified over 120 activities that Brother Knights have become involved with. We as a council are involved in about 30 activities a year – and maybe more, as some are not reported! Find you niche and become involved.